Welcome, Guest
Guest Settings
Help

DCM4CHE Support Forums » dcm4che user » dcm4chee Archive Users

Thread: DICOM attribute does not get updated

This question is answered.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 5, 2008 12:17 PM Last Post By: abelau
abelau

DICOM attribute does not get updated
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 7:29 AM

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all,
I have just setup dcm4chee on Debian Linux as a PACS and has been using with K-PACS as a PACS client. I was trying to modify some DICOM header attributes on the local copy and push the modified DICOM files back to dcm4chee. However, what I found was that any modification to the header attributes (Physicians Name, or Study Description) will not get reflected in dcm4chee database upon C-STORE back to dcm4chee. Is it an expected behavior that attributes could not be modified, or is there any settings that would allow this functionality?

I have found that if the original attribute is empty, and I put in a new initial value into it, the new value will get updated in dcm4chee database upon C-STORE.

The above behavior applies when I am using dcmsend also.

To summarize:
Retrieve study from dcm4chee -> Modify existing DICOM header attribute -> C-STORE ->dcm4chee database does not update to the new value
Retrieve study from dcm4chee -> New DICOM header attribute -> C-STORE -> dcm4chee database uses the new value

Thanks
fleetwoodfc

Re: DICOM attribute does not get updated
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 12:47 PM   in response to: abelau in response to: abelau
Helpful
If you are using DCM4CHE as the 'master' image archive and the study has already been stored then the safest approach is to make your edits using the DCM4CHEE web interface.
If you resend an edited study to DCM4CHEE then it will keep a copy of the file if the StoreSCP 'StoreDuplicatesIfDifferentMD5' attributes is set, but existing (db entry) study level attributes will not get modified.
abelau

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 1:10 PM   in response to: fleetwoodfc in response to: fleetwoodfc

Yes fleetwoodfc I am planning to use dcm4chee as the master achieve.

so if I understand correctly on what you say, with the attribute 'StoreDuplicatesIfDifferentMD5' being set (I am afraid I don't know how I should set it yet, as the documentation doesn't seems to be very easy to find), a copy of the DICOM files with different header will be stored also, but the dcm4chee database will not be updated.

What will happen when a user retrieve that study. Will he/she get a stacks of DICOM files with the updated header? but then this implies inconsistency between what dcm4chee is showing and the file he/she is getting.

I am still a little bit confused I am afraid.

Thanks for the explanation.
gunter

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 1:51 PM   in response to: abelau in response to: abelau

You can change the default behavior, that only attributes on instance/object level are overwritten, but attributes on patient/study/series level are only supplemented by new received objects of an existing patient/study/series by specifying an explicit value for attribute "update-strategy" of the "patient"/"study"/"series" element in conf/dcm4chee-attribute-filter.xml (s.a. conf/dcm4chee-attribute-filter.dtd)

But I don't think it's a good idea to update patient/study/series attributes on receive of additional objects of that patient/study/series !
fleetwoodfc

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:12 PM   in response to: abelau in response to: abelau

You can use the DCM4CHEE jmx console to change the many attributes - http://yourhost:8080/jmx-console. Documentation is: http://www.dcm4che.org/confluence/display/ee2/Services+%28MBeans%29#Services%28MBeans%29-Internal.

If you modify Study attributes using the web interface then the modified study is what gets sent/retrieved. There is a difference between a DICOM file and a DICOM Object - DICOM Object attribute modifications change db entries only - files are never modified.
abelau

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:30 PM   in response to: gunter in response to: gunter

thanks for your information gunter.

I am afraid I still need some more reading to digest what you mean as I am very new to how a PACS operate. If I understand correctly, that means I could modify the "update-strategy" such that the, repeated, updated, "series", when sent over again from my KPACS Client, will overwrite the original stored attributes in dcm4chee server, right?

when you mention it is not a good idea, is it from a technical point of view, or is it because of some other reasons such as the possibility of letting users to mess up with the studies? We are actually using it in a research environment so I was thinking that having the capability of modifying some attributes, esp "Study Description" would be very useful.

Edited by: abelau on Oct 30, 2008 2:36 PM
gunter

Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:15 PM   in response to: abelau in response to: abelau
Helpful
abelau wrote:
thanks for your information gunter.

I am afraid I still need some more reading to digest what you mean as I am very new to how a PACS operate. If I understand correctly, that means I could modify the "update-strategy" such that the, repeated, updated, "series", when sent over again from my KPACS Client, will overwrite the original stored attributes in dcm4chee server, right?

Right.

when you mention it is not a good idea, is it from a technical point of view, or is it because of some other reasons such as the possibility of letting users to mess up with the studies? We are actually using it in a research environment so I was thinking that having the capability of modifying some attributes, esp "Study Description" would be very useful.

Both!
  • DICOM only defines a mean to communicate a Storage SCU, that some attributes of the just stored object were modified ("coerced") by the Storage SCP in the C-STORE RSP (s. DICOM Part 4, B.2.3 Statuses, Warning: Coercion of Data Elements; s.o. StorageSCP-WarnForCoercedAETitles), but there is no way to notify any interested Object Source, that its generated objects were modified afterwards.
  • E.g.: If Study attributes were overwritten by the last received object, storing an object created years afterwards (e.g. a SR document with a report comparing that study with a current study, and storing the SR document to both studies, to get notified about it, also if only query for objects of the old study) and the source did not take care to copy the old Study Date into the object header, but just put in the current date, the old Study also becomes a current one of the Patient!
abelau

Posted: Oct 31, 2008 5:11 AM   in response to: gunter in response to: gunter

Having a little bit more reading on the use of dcm4chee-attribute-filter.xml, I tried to make a change as follows:

I made the follow change in an attempt to allow K-PACS users to update the attribute "Study Description" when the retrieve the study, modify the header, and store it back to dcm4chee

<study>
<attr tag="00080005"/> <!-- Specific Character Set -->
<attr tag="00080020"/> <!-- Study Date -->
<attr tag="00080030"/> <!-- Study Time -->
<attr tag="00080050"/> <!-- Accession Number -->
<attr tag="00080090"/> <!-- Referring Physician Name -->
<attr tag="00081030"/> <!-- Study Description -->
<attr tag="00081032"/> <!-- Procedure Code Seq -->
<attr tag="0020000D" coerce="false"/> <!-- Study Instance UID -->
<attr tag="00200010"/> <!-- Study ID -->
<attr tag="0032000A"/> <!-- Study Status ID -->
</study>
TO
<study>
<attr tag="00080005"/> <!-- Specific Character Set -->
<attr tag="00080020"/> <!-- Study Date -->
<attr tag="00080030"/> <!-- Study Time -->
<attr tag="00080050"/> <!-- Accession Number -->
<attr tag="00080090"/> <!-- Referring Physician Name -->
<attr tag="00081030" overwrite="true"/> <!-- Study Description -->
<attr tag="00081032"/> <!-- Procedure Code Seq -->
<attr tag="0020000D" coerce="false"/> <!-- Study Instance UID -->
<attr tag="00200010"/> <!-- Study ID -->
<attr tag="0032000A"/> <!-- Study Status ID -->
</study>

According to http://www.dcm4che.org/jira/browse/DCMEE-253 , "overwrite" means the new object will replace the attribute in the DB. However, I resend the same study with a modified "Study Description" in the DICOM header, but did not observe any change in the update behavior unfortunately, even after restarting dcm4chee. Is there anything I am missing?

Edited by: abelau on Oct 31, 2008 6:03 AM
gunter

Posted: Oct 31, 2008 9:14 AM   in response to: abelau in response to: abelau
Correct
There is no attribute "overwrite" of element "attr". You only can overwrite the default "update-strategy" for all study attributes by (e.g.)

<study update-strategy="overwrite-merge">
abelau

Posted: Nov 5, 2008 12:17 PM   in response to: gunter in response to: gunter

yep that's exactly what I need... gunter, thanks for explaining. Actually upon searching the term "update-strategy", I've found similar threads also.
Legend
Expert: 501 - 999999 pts
Contributor: 151 - 500 pts
Member: 1 - 150 pts
dcm4che team
community contributor
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums